Out of all the reasons, bad posture stands as the major contributor. If you will look around in a public space, you will find a lot many people in a hunched-over posture as they stay glued to their smartphones or any handheld gadgets. Such gadgets are ruining our body posture to an irrevocable level. And, bad postures do not only mean suffering from a text-neck, shoulder pain or an arm pain, but it can also affect us psychologically and influence our emotional outlook. According to a study published in Health Psychology, bad posture does not only affect a person’s emotional state but it can also cause them.
An average human head weighs around 10 to 12 pounds. The amount of pressure exerted on the neck muscles and spine rises when the forward angle of the head increases. At an angle of 15 degrees, your head weighs around 27 pounds, at 30 degrees; the strain is equal to 40 pounds of your head and at an angle of 60 degrees, the pressure exerted on the neck increases to 60 pounds. Now for once reflect upon the number of hours you spend staring at the small screen of your smartphone or your tablet.
When you tilt your head forward, the extra pressure exerted on the neck, spine and shoulders result in the wear and tear of their regular structure. To prevent yourself from severe back pain, while matching up with the hustle and bustle of your ever busy life, try doing the following things:
1. If you have a computer work that will take much of your time, then do not try to wind it up on your mobile phone or on your tablet, switch on your desktop or laptop.
2. Instead of tilting your head down, raise your phone to the level of your eyes.
3. Do not keep your head stiff in one position for a longer duration. Move it from side to side slowly in equal interval of time.
4. Remind yourself time and again about the correct body posture. A correct posture is one in which your head is upright, your ears are aligned with your shoulders and your shoulders are down and retracted.
5. When you realize that you have been using your phone for more than 10 minutes, do a quick exercise. Press your chin to your neck and squeeze your shoulder blades firmly. Hold the position for at least 10 seconds. Repeat the exercise for about 10-15 times to avoid any kind of back problem in future.