Identify a long tail length. Some Betta fishes will have long and flowing tails, which can be beautiful to look at. Long tails come in different shapes, such as veiled, halfmoon, and delta. Veiltail Betta are one of the most common types of Betta fish, and one of the most popular types of pet fish.
- The veiltail is long and flowing. It arches up and over the body, resembling a veil. The tail is usually asymmetric and broad at its base, and more pointed at its outer edge.
- The halfmoon tail looks like a half circle, or a capital ‘D.’ The perfect halfmoon shape has a spread of exactly 180° between the top and bottom tail rays. Halfmoon tails are usually very fragile.
- There are also ‘over half-moon’ tails, which extend beyond a 180° tail spread angle.
- Delta tails are in the shape of a D, but do not achieve a 180° tail spread angle. Delta tails are sometimes called ‘Super Deltas,’ with a tail spread angle of 160° to 179°.
- The Delta tail usually has rounded edges, but the Super Delta tail tends to have a broad base and a wide end.