Similarly, there are also some myths and superstitions associated with New Year’s Eve as people believe that whatever they do on December 31 or on January 1 will continue happening for the entire year. (Also read: 10 Superstitions Associated With New Year)
This is the reason why people often end up doing strange things on New Year’s Eve. Here, we bring you some strange yet, interesting age-old superstitions that are being associated with New Year.
1. Your wallet or pocket should not be empty on the day: There are people who say one should not have an empty wallet or pocket on the New Year’s Eve as it signifies very low or no income throughout the year. You might suffer a financial crisis if your pocket is empty on that day.
2. No cleaning or dusting activity on New Year’s Eve: Some people believe one should not clean or sweep the floor on New Year’s Eve as it is an ominous act. This activity can sweep away the good luck from the house for the entire year.
3. Wear new clothes: People believe that wearing new clothes on the occasion of New Year ensures a constant supply of new clothes for the entire year. So, it will fill your wardrobe.
4. Eat green and leafy vegetables for fortune: Eating green and leafy vegetables such as spinach or cabbage will bring wealth for the entire year. Some people suggest eating cornbread brings instant cash.
5. Don’t be sad or depressed on the day: Some people say one should not feel sad or depressed on the day as you will remain sad and unhappy for the entire year. One should welcome the New Year with a smile.
6. The first visitor in the house is important: Some people say if the first visitor who enters the house on the occasion is a man then the husband will have more say in all affairs of the family for the entire year. However, if a woman enters, then the wife will have full control.
7. Do some good work on the day: If you want to have a successful career, you need to perform some good work on December 31 and January 1, so that you continue doing it for the entire year.
8. Avoid cats: If you see or hear a cat crying on the occasion, you should start running in the opposite direction as it brings a bad omen. It is considered as the most horrifying sound, so avoid it at all cost.
9. Make noise: You know why there are fireworks on New Year’s Eve, it is to scare the evil spirits. So make some noise on the occasion to scare away ghosts and evil spirits.
Note: The above mentioned myths have nothing to do with reality, so go ahead, party hard and have a blast!