For example, if you want to be an achiever, you need to primarily have two things – healthy body and sound brain. Again, don’t start thinking that you need to add anything more to achieve this. You possess all skills, but you need to give up on unhealthy lifestyle. That means you need to take care of your health with the help of diet and physical activity.
Similarly, there are many bad habits and wrong ways of doing things which if you give up, will bring you close to success. And if you follow it every day, you will become successful eventually. (Also read: Celebrate Your Success But Learn To Maintain It)
Here are some of things you need to give up to be successful:
1. Give up your habit of controlling things: Sometimes things are under your control, sometimes they are not. Don’t give undue importance to things which are not under your control instead focus on the ones you have full control. For example, you can control your attitude not others.
2. Give up your excuses: You know you are responsible for everything that happens on your life – good or bad. You know about your strengths and weaknesses and you know the key to success too. You can overcome your weaknesses by limiting your excuses to be successful in life.
3. Give up believing that there is a shortcut to success: If you think you will become successful overnight some day, this is a complete myth. Miracles like these are impossible and have nothing to do with real life. You have to work hard continuously to get the desired results.
4. Give up the fear of falling down: Life is all about falling down and getting up, if anyone is afraid of it, forget about tasting success in life. Always remember, fear of failure prevents you from doing anything. You won’t be able to make use of any opportunity that comes your way.
5. Give up saying ‘yes’ to things that you don’t believe: In order to accomplish your goal, you will have to learn how to say ‘no’ and avoid tasks, activities, and demands from your friends, family, and colleagues. You have set your priorities and work accordingly.
6. Give up your wish to be liked by everyone: What if nobody likes! There will a lot of people who don’t like you no matter what you did for them and this should not affect you. And there is nothing wrong in this. This is natural, and there’s no need to justify yourself.
7. Give up your dependency on getting emotional support: Are you dependent on your friends and colleagues to get emotional support at the time of distress? You don’t need anyone, just be your own support. Do introspect what went wrong and never repeat it again.